Licensing of foundation repair contractors is needed for Texas home owners, especially in the Dallas area. Texas HB 613 legislation has been proposed by Rob Orr, R-Buleson, TX for the 2013 legislative session.
HB613, House Bill 613 would create the Texas Foundation Repair Contractors Act. Plumbers, auctioneers, dog breeders and others are licensed in Texas, but not foundation repair.
Updated April 19 2013: House Bill 613 has come out of committee, to the floor for consideration, and is now being reviewed by the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation.
Texas Senate Bill 802, known as SB 802, is in committee. SB 802 mirrors HB 613 to establish a process to license foundation repair contractors.
Granite Foundation Repair strongly endorses legislation in Texas to require licensing for foundation repair. As a contractor, we hear too many stories of homeowners being bilked by disreputable foundation repair contractors. As Rob Orr stated ” anybody can get into the (foundation repair) business by hanging a shingle”.
You as a homeowner can do your part by contacting Rob Orr’s Austin office at 512-463-0538 and reporting any problems that you have encountered with foundation repair contractors.
The Texas Foundation Repair Contractors Act for Licensing would entail:
- Licensing requirements for foundation repair Contracting Companies, Master repair men, and journeymen.
- Require that the Texas Commission of Licensing and Regulation establish minimum liability insurance requirements for contractors.
- Apply to contracts entered into beginning September 1, 2014
- Seek references for foundation repair contractors
- Check with the BBB, FRA or Angie’s List