A concrete slab foundation problem needs prompt evaluation and professional foundation repair. This will help to minimize the total cost of repair and collateral damage such as the cost to fix walls and ceilings.
- It is important to get a thorough evaluation of the problem. Reputable foundation repair companies in the Dallas Ft Worth Texas area will perform an initial foundation evaluation at zero cost to the homeowner. As a part of the repair process the foundation company will engage a professional engineer. The cost of a professional engineer’s report is in the range of $450-$800. Should soil samples be required, be prepared to pay an additional $1200-$2000 for a geotechnical report. A complete foundation evaluation will include elevation measurements with a quality instrument such as a Compu-Level.
- Crack repair can cost $500-$2500. Crack repair is usually one element of a more complex repair plan.
- Foundation problems often require underpinning to regain foundation strength. Underpinning a foundation requires piers or pilings every 6-8 feet in the area that is failing. The cost of piers depends upon the type of pier used and the number of piers required. Exterior piers can cost $350-$600 each. If it is necessary to cut holes in flatwork such as sidewalks, porches or driveways, add $75-$125. When interior piers are required to fix the foundation problem, add $125-$175 per pier. Tunneling may be required to preserve interior floor coverings. The cost of tunneling in the Dallas Fort Worth area is $200-$275 per linear foot, plus the cost of interior piers. Underpinning a corner of a house foundation can cost $2500-$6500.
- The cost to mudjack a foundation is in the range of $2500-$8500. Mudjacking may lead to additional problems and is not normally recommended for foundation problems in areas of expansive clay soil.
- Most cities in North Texas require a permit for foundation repair. The cost of a permit is in the range of $75-$150 and may be a flat percentage of the cost of the foundation repair. Dallas charges a minimum fee plus 0.9%.
- Drainage correction may augment underpinning at a cost of $1100-$5500. Drainage correction may eliminate the need for foundation repair and underpinning.
- The total cost to fix a medium sized foundation problem can run $3500-$8700. The cost to repair an extensive foundation problem is in the range of $9500-$28000. Insurance usually does not cover the cost of foundation repair.